Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Value of Left-Handed Musical Instruments

As a left-handed person, growing up in a right-handed world meant that I first learned to play a guitar on a right-handed instrument. My teacher was right-handed and all the instruction books were geared for right-handed players.

Is it any big surprise that I got frustrated easily and gave up too soon? I was older when I ran across a guitar player who happened to be a lefty and played that way. Don't you know, I quickly found a left-handed guitar and went back to learning the chords and practicing.

If it hadn't been for that accidental meeting, I would never have tried to learn again. That left-handed musical instrument made a world of difference to me.

For those who are, or have children who are left-handed, a musical instrument that works for them is important. Starting off the wrong way is a big mistake. It takes a lot more work and practice to learn the same things that we learn faster and easier with left-handed instruments.

For those of you worried about the price tag that might go along with a "different" instrument, rest assured there are plenty of starter instruments that are priced inexpensively. When you get better with your playing, getting a better and therefore more expensive instrument is a natural progression. But that's true for right-handed players as well.

So go ahead and learn to play your favorite instrument. Or let your children learn. They just may turn out to be the kind of fun guitarist or musician that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment